Saturday, December 8, 2012

I'm guilty of this you should know this

Grainline Scout Tee
Grainline Scout Tee


 I've gone into Forever 21 a couple of times and it always turns out to not be a very bright idea... My ADD goes into overdrive in that store. There is no rhyme or reason to how it's layed out (or at least not obviously) and I jump from item to item, unable to pick any one thing. I am completely unable to make any decisions, it's like I freeze up from all the options. It must be hell to work there. I realize that this store is also kind of "evil" as far as fast fashion and ethics are concerned. Which is why I never purchased anything there. Except this one time. Yes, I'm guilty of giving F21 money. In my defense,  I was desperate for something wear to a particular event and I had no time to make anything.  I conceded and, against my better judgement, decided it wasn't wrong to buy one cheap item from Forever 21 since I was in such a pinch (both financially and time wise). As I said, my ADD kicked in and I spent what felt like only 15 minutes frantically digging through the racks. That five minutes turned out to be an hour. I'm not sure what's going on there but it's like a huge time void in that store. Anyhoo, I ended up with this flowy, sheer button up blouse with a peter pan collar and a slight hi-low hem. Something I usually stay away from... the flowy sillohette. I wore enough of that type of clothing when I was pregnant. Still, I was drawn to this top and, aside from fitting a bit tight through the shoulders, I loved the way it looked on. I paid only $17 for it, which really seemed like a bargain. Until I noticed that after one wear, the shirt was already tearing at the freakin seams! Ugh. I've never shopped there again (although I do go into the store for sewing inspiration.)
 
   I learned 2 things from this episode 1) quality is reflected in price and 2) I shouldn't be afraid to try different sillohettes. And 3) Forever 21 really is evil. I've since purchased similar "flowy" tops and I love them all. After all the fabulous versions of the Grainline Scout Tee I've seen online, I had been considereing making one for some time. When I went to Grainline's blog and saw this tutorial for modifying the back, I knew I needed it.
 
Grainline Scout Tee

Grainline Scout Tee
 
   The pattern was exactly what a PDF should be. Small and easy to put together. The tutorial for modifying the pattern was clear and easy to follow. I cut a straight sz 12. I ended up taking in the side seams enough to justify cutting out a sz 10 next time. The shoulders are a bit wide for me so I'll shave about a half an inch off the next time I make it.
  
Grainline Scout Tee
 
Grainline Scout Tee 

 The fabric is Voile from Anna Marie Horner's Innocent Crush line. I've previously used it on my unblogged Colette Truffle. It's so soft and gorgeous.  This entire garment is sewn with french seams. It is really a pleasure to wear.

 I shot these pics on an super warm day. I can't believe it's December, it's been so pretty here in NoVa. You may also notice my head scarf. It is from Lucky Lucille and I just love it. I have a review post coming up in the next couple of days so I can share with you how wonderful this thing is. Talk soon!
 
 



4 comments:

Sue said...

This turned out so cute! I've been meaning to try this pattern for quite some time now. Oh and the head-scarf is adorable. :)

Amanda said...

Love it! This looks super comfy and cute. I have the scout pattern printed at home and this is making me think it is time to have a bash at it!

Jamie said...

Thanks:) yeah, I ignored this pattern for the shiny objects but I'm really surprised at how much I like it.

Jamie said...

Aw, thanks Amanda! You should totally give this a go. It's such a simple design but the results are so cute! How does that happen? Lol!

Post a Comment